When Pope Clement VII, fleeing from the Sack of Rome, took
refuge at Orvieto, before commissioning St. Patrick's Well,
ordered the excavation of the Pozzo della Cava, in Via della
Cava [the street called "Cava", or quarry].
A big arch was made in the wall in which was the Etruscan
, so that the spring water could be drawn
from the road.
In 1646 the town authorities ordered the closure of the
arch and the well, as is demonstrated by an ancient stone
tablet, originally situated at the well head in Via della
During the first months of 2004, the big arch of Pozzo della
Cava was be re-opened, to recreate the entrance like the
original Renaissance one.
Now Pozzo della Cava has a new beautiful well-curb, and
we descovered that the stone plaque was made using an
ancient sculpted stone taken from the underground chambers
of the nearby St. Andrew's Church or from the ancinet Holy
Virgin Mary Carhedral