The large pillar in the centre of the muffle
chamber is all that remains of a great Medieval tower.
According to the historical tract «Cronica Potestatum»,
this was the tower of the sons of Simone dei Filippeschi,
right-handman of the famous Ghibelline captain, Neri Della
In the same tract one reads that the entire structure was
demolished in 1313, when the Guelfs of Orvieto finally defeated